8.11.2006

On Breaking Free

A friend once wrote, "...i think everyone's problem is that we are leading a mechanical routine. and its called life. sometimes we have to break away from it all, but we must also be ready to come back." This was Jean’s comment on my journal entitled, The Breakdown of My Day.

I thought it was a great insight. Then I asked myself, how does one breakfree from the mechanical routine of life? Suicide? Of course not! That’s the easy way out.

It’s funny. It just came to me that after graduation, everyone seemed to be jumping in the same pool as everyone else’s...but it wasn’t a pool! It was a washing machine that whirls and whirls mechanically...just like our jobs. We spent four years or so in college just to join the perfunctory whirling. It’s sickening!

I envy those people who traveled. They enjoyed a brief moment of their life. It is marked that can never be erased. They can look back and reminisce those wonderful moments…moments that they are proud of and stories that will be told...stories that will be immortalized.

So is this how it feels like? This...the feeling of being part of the ‘real world’. Questions forming such as - what am I doing with my life? What is my purpose? Where am I headed? It’s scary!

And so I jumped in, because where else am I to go? What will I do? I have my BSIT degree with me, and what am I to do with it if not to jump in as well? It’s the only logical thing for me to do. If not, it’s like I’ve just wasted my 4 years of college education!

And so here I am… composing my thoughts. Waiting for the time. Waiting…just waiting. Waiting for something to happen with my life. Here I am...thinking…thinking how to break free from the mechanical routine of life (which is my original question by the way and the reason why I am writing in the first place).

How the hell!? I actually don’t know where to start...

Don’t get me wrong okay. I like my work. I think it’s a great opportunity for me to succeed in my chosen field. I also like the company I work for and the people I work with. It’s like family here. Well anyway, going back...

It seems that at my young age, I want to try everything...as in everything! It could be the reason why I want to do this and that, try this and that, be here, go there…whatever, wherever, whenever! I can’t seem to manage the things that I want to do and the things that I should do. It could be the reason why I want to breakfree and just have all the time in the world to do everything I please. But ofcourse with work demands, I can’t do that. We simply cannot. Well actually we can but it would be reckless of us. We’re such eager spirits! We cannot be imprisoned by work!

So what am I saying? Do I need time management? Hmmm...well...errrrr...maybe...perhaps...it can help...I think...

Discipline. Maybe I still lack discipline with my desires. Maybe I’m just not given enough work to keep me busy that’s why I still have time to think of these inexplicable questions…hehehe…probably.

I can be contradicting myself because...now...I’m thinking, if you enjoy your work so much, you can’t possibly be thinking of such questions...you won’t even entertain them in your chain of thought. But I did say I like my work.

Now I’m baffled more than ever. I should just stop. Right here. Stop.




Okay, wait. I thought of something...

I think we should just enjoy every moment...all of the experiences life brings...be it good or bad...exciting or boring. It molds our character. Everything that we do we should learn from them. Make things happen. Think out of the box. Create. Influence. Dream. Aspire to be that someone. Never stop. Life is not always happy. If you trip, standup! We are unique individuals with character…breakfree from the stereotypes…not life. Let’s bring life to the pool!

No comments: