3.14.2007

Futsal Dreams

All eyes are set on me. I grasp for air and try to relax the tension of my body. I take a deep, deep breath and let out a heavy sigh.


I’m a few feet away from the ball ready to pounce on it. I look at the ball – six meters away to victory! But first, it has to pass through this great obstacle. I have to find a way to sweep it past the goalkeeper.


I look at my teammates, my coach, and the supporters…I see them praying, nodding their heads and clenching their fists at me signaling that I can do this. I nod back at them and said a little prayer…


Sweat is forming, trickling down the side of my right temple. I wipe it off and concentrate. I look straight at the sharp eyes of the blocker.


This is it. One on one. One shot. One chance. One moment.


I hear the referee blow his whistle, and I pause…
Then in a split second I take a mighty gasp taking all the air and energy inside me as I aimed a powerful kick at the ball…


Slooow moootiooon…everything is in slow motion…


The ball went flying…rising to the top right corner of the goal…The keeper jumped up stretching her arms trying to reach for it…The tip of her fingers touched it…slightly…


Everyone in silence…


Woosh!


But I guess it wasn’t enough…


Goal!


Pandemonium! The crowd went wild! They roared and cheered victoriously! My teammates rushed at me and gave me the victory ride!!!


“ANNE, WAKE UP!”, I heard someone yell.


Aaaanne, waaake uuup!


I heard it again this time recognizing the person behind the voice…it was my boss!


Shit!

No comments: