9.23.2008

Guangzhou Experience

I will enumerate, in no particular order, the things I did in Guangzhou China that I’ve never experienced back home in Manila:


  1. Travel alone via plane to and from Guangzhou (or anywhere for that matter).
  2. Lodge in a hospital for 5 days.
  3. Sleep in a hospital bed for 5 nights.
  4. Spend my 25th birthday (I’ll never be 25 again on my other birthdays to come, right?).
  5. I got to see a live polar bear!
  6. I got to see an elephant play soccer, bow, sit and do a headstand.
  7. I got to see the largest safari park in China (with 333 hectares of land) and all the other animals I got to see for the 1st time.
  8. I got to bring my own grocery cart in the grocery store.
  9. I got to pack my own grocery (w/o plastic bags) in the grocery cart.
  10. I got to pull my own grocery cart from the grocery back to the hospital.
  11. Heard mass surrounded by Chinese and Nigerian.
  12. Sharing a table with a stranger to eat at a restaurant.
  13. Ride an ambulance (from the airport to the hospital).
  14. The hand & foot spa service of a Chinese.
  15. People staring at me because I speak alien to them. Hehehe!
  16. Going to Guangzhou’s entertainment place – by the Pearl River. A night of dancing, tai chi, badminton, juggling, biking, roller skating, jogging, dog-walking, etc.



Things I did in Guangzhou I wish I’d do back home:


  1. Walk! Walk! Walk…and more walking!
  2. Take the subway to go around the city (MRT & LRT for Manila).
  3. Get to admire the lighted skyscrapers at night.



Things in Guangzhou that reminded me of Manila:


  1. Shopping! Shopping! Shopping…and more shopping in Divisoria-like and Greenhills-like shopping centers.
  2. Tea, dumplings and chopsticks.
  3. Hand & foot spa service.
  4. Chinatown – the food, the smell, the place, the people.
  5. The Pearl River reminded me of Pasig River and Baywalk combined.
  6. The Almeda’s.





This is my 5-day Guangzhou experience. Personal, unique and unforgettable.

No comments: