11.16.2006

Inncocent Danger

As I halted in front of the stoplight, I looked out the window and saw two boys playing mock basketball. One boy was taller than the other. At one instance the little kid was dribbling (w/o a ball) and then took a shot as the taller boy jumped up to block it. And it seemed he did because then the possession was with the taller boy. They were laughing their hearts out as they played.

What was ironic though was I found myself amused with these little kids on the sidewalk…simple joys. But at the same time I was concerned that these kids were playing at risk. They were in danger of getting hit by a car or truck with one wrong step.

But why is this? Why can’t these innocent kids play peacefully on a playground? Are they getting the same opportunities as with the other kids?

I guess not. It may be worse for some.

The light turned green and so I sped away with my thoughts lingering with those boys and the other kids with the same fate.

No comments: